Dr Carolyn Bariol
Gastroenterologist, Sydney | Consulting at the Diagnostic Endoscopy Centre, Darlinghurst
Dr Carolyn Bariol completed her Medical degree at UNSW and then undertook her junior resident and basic physician’s training at St Vincent’s Hospital, Darlinghurst.
She commenced her advanced gastroenterology and hepatology training at RPAH including liver transplant experience, before returning to complete her specialty training at St Vincent’s.
This was followed by a research degree, her Masters of Science, a genetic study into the precursors of colon cancer. This was undertaken successfully at the Garvan Institute.
Since then, Dr Bariol has worked at the Diagnostic Endoscopy Centre situated within St Vincent’s Clinic, St Vincent’s Private Hospital and the Mater Hospital, North Sydney. She consults in private rooms at St Vincent’s Clinic and Berry Rd Medical Centre, St Leonards.
Qualifications: M.B., B.S., M.Sc., FRACP
Certifications: GESA Colonoscopy Recertification Program 2017 – 2020
- General Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Coeliac disease
- Colorectal cancer screening and prevention
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy and colonoscopy
Diet and Functional Bowel Disease
Education Presentation By Dr Carolyn Bariol At St Vincent’s Clinic GP Meeting – October 2014
Food Intolerances in Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Clinical Update Presented By Dr Carolyn Bariol – June 1, 2010
- Macumber C (Bariol C), Vickers CR, Meagher AP, O’Connor T. Ten year followup of ileoanal J pouch anastomosis for chronic ulcerative colitis (abstr). J Gastroenterol Hepatol(suppl). 1998 Nov;13 Suppl:A109-215.
- Macumber C (Bariol C), Phan TG, Young GA, Selby WS. Myelofibrosis presenting as splenic tumour. Dig Dis Sci 1999 Sep;44(9):1817-22
- Macumber C (Bariol C), Meagher AP, Vickers CR, Byrnes DJ, Edwards PD, Hing M, Wettstein AR, Field A. Thalidomide-effective therapy in chronic resistant inflammatory bowel disease (abstr). Gastroenterology 1999;116(suppl);A767.
- Bariol C, Field A, Vickers CR, Ward R. Regression of gastric T cell lymphoma with eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Gut. 2001 Feb;48(2):269-71.
- C Bariol, NJ Hawkins, AP Meagher, DB Williams, AS Field, A Morey, JJ Turner, RL Ward. Sporadic Microsatellite unstable colorectal cancer arises from hyperplastic polyps and serrated adenomas. Histological re-analysis of colonic polyps to assess frequency of these precursor lesions. Oral Presentation. The Garvan Institute Scientific Research Symposium. Sydney, 2001.
- C Bariol, C Suter, KF Cheong, SL Ku, RL Ward.Global hypomethylation of DNA in colorectal carcinomas and precursor lesions. Oral Presentation. The Garvan Institute Scientific Research Symposium. Sydney, 2001.
- Bariol C, Meagher AP, Vickers CR, Byrnes DJ, Edwards PD, Hing M, Wettstein AR, Field A. Early studies on the safety and efficacy of thalidomide for symptomatic inflammatory bowel disease. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002 Feb;17(2):135-9.
- Hawkins NJ, Bariol C, Ward RL. The serrated neoplasia pathway. Pathology. 2002 Dec;34(6):548-55. Review.
- C Bariol, NJ Hawkins, RL Ward. Serrated adenomas – establishing a working diagnostic model (abstr). J Gastroenterol Hepatol(suppl). 2002 Nov; 17 Suppl:A111.
- Bariol C, Hawkins NJ, Turner JJ, Meagher AP, Williams DB, Ward RL. Histopathological and clinical evaluation of serrated adenomas of the colon and rectum. Mod Pathol. 2003 May;16(5):417-23.
- Carolyn Bariol, Catherine Suter, Kay Cheong, Su-Lyn Ku, Alan Meagher, Nicholas Hawkins, Robyn Ward. The Relationship between Hypomethylation and CpG Island Methylation in Colorectal Neoplasia. Am J Pathol. 2003 April; 162(4): 1361–1371.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease and St Vincent’s Clinic experience with the use of Thalidomide. St Vincent’s Clinic Proceedings Volume 11, No 1 August, 2003.
- Quinn E, Mokany E, Bariol C, Ward RL. Hyperplastic polyps: Are they clonal? Oral Presentation. Lorne Conference on protein structure and function, 2003.
- Jia Liu, Luke B. Hesson, Alan P. Meagher, Michael J. Bourke, Nicholas J. Hawkins, Keith N. Rand, Peter L. Molloy, John E. Pimanda, and Robyn L. Ward. Relative Distribution of Folate Species Is Associated with Global DNA Methylation in Human Colorectal Mucosa. Cancer Prev Res; 5(7); 921–9. ©2012 AACR. … Stephen Riordan, Dr. Carolyn Bariol, Dr. Jeffrey Tu, and Dr. Antony Wettstein for their assistance in collection of endoscopy samples and thank Dr. Russell Pickford for technical assistance with mass spectrometry and Dr. Michael Falster for reviewing the statistical analyses …