Dr Simon Ghaly
Dr. Simon Ghaly graduated from the University of New South Wales with honours. He trained at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney before undertaking his gastroenterology training at St. George, Sutherland and St. Vincent’s Hospitals.
Dr. Ghaly then undertook a clinical and research fellowship at the Centre for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fremantle W.A where his research examined the role of vitamin D and ultraviolet radiation in altering the gut microbiome and immune system.
He is currently a Staff Specialist and clinical lead of the inflammatory bowel disease service at St. Vincent’s Hospital and conjoint lecturer at the University of New South Wales.
- Head of Inflammatory Bowel Disease Service
- Staff Specialist, St. Vincent’s Hospital
- Conjoint Lecturer, School of Medicine, UNSW Sydney
Qualifications: MB.BS(hons), B.Sc(med), PhD, FRACP
Certifications: GESA colonoscopy Recertification in Colonoscopy 2018-2021
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
- Mesothelioma in a 35-Year-Old Male With Ulcerative Colitis’,Iliff J; Bart NK; Ghaly S; Granger E; Holloway CJ, 2019, ‘Pericardial Cardiovascular imaging, vol. 12, pp. e008659.
- Vitamin D C3-epimer levels are proportionally higher with oral vitamin D supplementation compared to ultraviolet irradiation of skin in mice but not humans’, Ghaly S; Bliuc D; Center JR; Clarke MW; Jones AP; Trend S; Kermode AG; Neale RE; Hart PH, 2019, ‘Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 186, pp. 110 – 116.
- ‘Letter: vedolizumab drug concentrations in neonates following intrauterine exposure’,Flanagan E; Gibson PR; Begun J; Ghaly S; Garg M; Andrews JM; Rosella O; Rosella G; Bell SJ, 2018, Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 48, pp. 1328 – 1330
- What is in our treasure chest? Australian pharmaceutical benefits scheme availability and criteria for prescribing biologics. Simon Ghaly. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2018;33:12-33
- Ultraviolet Irradiation of Skin Alters the Faecal Microbiome Independently of Vitamin D in Mice. Simon Ghaly et al. 2018 10(8):1069-15
- High Dose Vitamin D supplementation alters faecal microbiome and predisposes mice to more severe colitis. Simon Ghaly et al. Scientific Reports 2018; 8(1):11511
- Review article: consensus statements on therapeutic drug monitoring of anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy in inflammatory bowel diseases. Mitrev N, Vande Casteele N, Seow CH, Andrews JM, Connor SJ, Moore GT, Barclay M, Begun J, Bryant R, Chan W, Corte C, Ghaly S, Lemberg DA, Kariyawasam V, Lewindon P, Martin J, Mountifield R, Radford-Smith G, Slobodian P, Sparrow M, Toong C, van Langenberg D, Ward MG, Leong RW; IBD Sydney Organisation and the Australian Inflammatory Bowel Diseases Consensus Working Group. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017 Dec;46(11-12):1037-1053. doi: 10.1111/apt.14368. Epub 2017 Oct 13. Review.
- UV Irradiation of Skin Enhances Glycolytic Flux and Reduces Migration Capabilities in Bone Marrow-Differentiated Dendritic Cells McGonigle TA, Keane KN, Ghaly S, Carter KW, Anderson D, Scott NM, Goodridge HS, Dwyer A, Greenland E, Pixley FJ, Newsholme P, Hart PH. Am J Pathol. 2017 Sep;187(9):2046-2059. doi: 10.1016/j.ajpath.2017.06.003. Epub 2017 Jul 11.
- High Vitamin D-Binding Protein Concentration, Low Albumin, and Mode of Remission Predict Relapse in Crohn’s Disease Simon Ghaly, Kevin Murray, Angela Baird, Katherine Martin, Ruth Prosser, Justine Mill, Lisa A Simms, Prue H Hart, Graham Radford-Smith, Peter Bampton, Ian C Lawrance. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2016 22:2456-64
- Iron and vitamin D deficiency in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Simon Ghaly. J Gastroenterol and Hepatol. 2016 Jun: Supll1:27-8
- Dose tailoring of anti TNF-α therapy delivers useful clinical efficacy in Crohn’s Disease patients experiencing loss of response Simon Ghaly, Samuel Costello, Lauren Beswick et al. Intern Med Journal. 2015 Feb;45(2):170-7
- The role of vitamin D in gastrointestinal inflammation Simon Ghaly, Ian C Lawrance. Expert Review in Gastroenterol Hepatol. Epub 2014 Jul 22
- Compassionate access anti-TNF α therapy for Ulcerative Colitis in Australia: the benefits to patients Samuel Costello, Simon Ghaly, Lauren Beswick et al. Intern Med J. Epub 2015 Mar 2